A story writing blog

Friday, December 26, 2014

TOM WRITES HIS FIRST MOVIE: Broach the issue and go on a date.

 Been working on a movie script, it's my first one. One page at a time I am getting it done.


Here's today's entry:



EXT - Restaurant. 

Douglas and Abby are sitting down in a beautifully lit and lively little restaurant on the lake. The lights on the boats behind them make them look like fireflies on the water. A server brings their food, Abby has a light pasta dish, Douglas has a big halibut placed in front of him. The skin looks crispy the meat looks mouth watering, Douglas is almost in disbelief at how good it looks.

DOUGLAS
Oh god. Y'know what, I never take pictures of my food but this is too damn photogenic to not share.

Douglas snaps a pic with his phone.

DOUGLAS
Speaking of photogenic.

Douglas snaps a few pictures of Abby. The camera loves her smile. Her smile fades some.

 ABIGAIL
This is the you I like.

DOUGLAS
You've been so ominous lately. What's up?

ABIGAIL
I feel like I am still learning you.

DOUGLAS
Well...yeah. When you move in with someone you go through this re-discovery period, right? That's normal.

ABIGAIL
I know. 

DOUGLAS
So is it like...I am messy or...?

ABIGAIL
No! It's nothing like that...well, yes you are messy but I knew that when I asked you to move in. It's just...honestly, I found a note you wrote to yourself once. It looked like something you wrote to yourself  when you were feeling annoyed. It was angry, and it was weird to see because I never see that side of you.

DOUGLAS
What are you talking about? The angriest I ever get is when I am losing at video games and you see that all the time. What note?

ABIGAIL
I couldn't even tell you. I read a few lines of it and just crumpled it up and threw it out. It was so angry and violent. It scared me Douglas.

DOUGLAS
A note? Like a handwritten note?

ABIGAIL
Yes.

DOUGLAS
Abby the only handwritten notes I leave lying around would say like..."buy laundry detergent" or "dentist 12:30, Monday". I can't think of anything I'd write that would have freaked you out.

ABIGAIL
It's not just the note. Its other little things like moving my diary and finding this broken picture of me and my family that looked like it had been smashed and then put back on the shelf, and sometimes I here angry shouting...

DOUGLAS
I am a little floored right now. 

ABIGAIL
I didn't want to bring this up tonight. I am sorry.

DOUGLAS
I had no idea any of this was going on. Abby I didn't write any angry notes. I don't know what you saw but it wasn't from me, and I didn't know one of your pictures broke. I didn't do that either. The yelling...that could be me. I don't know. Video games.

ABIGAIL
That note was written on the paper we keep in the kitchen.

DOUGLAS
What? heh...

That one stumps Douglas, it's disturbing.

DOUGLAS
Well maybe your dad wrote it about me. I mean he hates me, any note he wrote about me would be angry and hate filled and scary. Right?

ABIGAIL
Not this kind of angry and it was just sitting out on the counter and he hasn't been here since we moved in. We would have noticed it before if was his.

DOUGLAS
I wish you kept the note and I wish you'd shown me the broken picture because then I could have probably could have proven right then and there that I had nothing to do with any of this.

ABIGAIL
I should have asked you about it but I wanted to just sweep it under the rug and forget about it.

DOUGLAS
I am sorry you saw something that freaked you out. That wasn't me.

Abigail smiles.
ABIGAIL
How about we both just forget it.

DOUGLAS
OH, I know just the thing for that.

Douglas motions for the waiter. The waiter comes over.

DOUGLAS
Can we see a wine menu please?

Again Abby smiles. The two settle in, the tension of the last few days starts to fade and two young lovers fall for each other all over again.

EXT - The Boardwalk

Abby and Douglas walk arm in arm along the beautiful boardwalk at night, the reflection of the moon dances off the water. The two are tipsy, giggling and holding each other tightly for stability as they stumble along.

ABIGAIL
You walk like a penguin.

DOUGLAS
Because you keep tripping me.

ABIGAIL
Lets swim home.

DOUGLAS
Uh-uh, I can't let you ruin your dress.

ABIGAIL
I'll take it off.

DOUGLAS
Ok lets swim.

Abigail grips Douglas by the shirt and pulls him in for a long kiss in the moonlight.

DOUGLAS
I love you Abby.

ABIGAIL
Take me home.

The two lovers kiss and then climb into a cab. Upon getting home their house is black, completely dark. They pair fumble to the door, finally getting it open. Douglas picks Abby up in his arms and carries her inside. The camera stays outside the house, the light in the window turning on just barely cuts through the black of the night.

Cont'd...

No comments:

Post a Comment