A story writing blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

TOM WRITES HIS FIRST MOVIE: Add Tension

I've been working on this script:


I've written other scripts which you can see all over this blog but this is my first feature length script attempt. The idea is that I write a page a day (but who am I kidding), I blog each page as I go because this way I feel more of a push to actually do it. Its easier than staring at a word document. If no one ever reads this blog (as I expect) then it doesn't matter, at the end of this I'll have a movie script written. For the record, I have no idea what you do with a finished movie script, that's a later Thomas's problem.


This has nothing to do with the script but
god help whatever kid drew this. 


INT - DAYTIME - KITCHEN

A week has passed, the once scattered living room looks settled, the boxes are all put away. Douglas has settled in. His game system is hooked up in the living room, his belongings have woven their way into the house. This looks like a shared home.

There's a tension in the room, Douglas is sitting at the table, flipping through a magazine, Abigale is making herself a snack. Her back turned towards Douglas.


ABIGALE
I don't know why you can't just say you did it? It bothers me that you'd try to lie about it.

DOUGLAS
I didn't even know you had a diary until you accused me of this just now.

ABIGALE
How did it end up in the nightstand on your side of the bed?

DOUGLAS
I have a SIDE of the bed? I didn't know that. I just plop down wherever.

ABIGALE
STOP trying to be funny right now.

DOUGLAS
I am not. None of this makes sense, if I wanted to read your diary I wouldn't put it in some nightstand beside the bed. I'd put it back EXACTLY where I got it from.

ABIGALE
I am not even saying you read it. It just drives me nuts that you won't just admit you moved it. This didn't even need to become a fight.

DOUGLAS
Well then lets not make it one. Lets just say we have ghosts and forget about it. 

ABIGALE
Stop making me sound crazy. I write in my diary every night and I put it back in my dresser when I am finished.

Douglas sees something in her eyes and hears it in her voice, she's freaked out. She sounds like someone under a lot of stress.

DOUGLAS
One time I came home to work to find my TV remote in the fridge. Sometimes people put things in weird places and don't even notice. I am sorry I don't remember moving your diary, maybe I did. I definitely, 100% did not read it.

ABIGALE
I don't want to fight; Douglas. I just want to know that you're always telling me the truth.

DOUGLAS
I always am. Are you ok with me living here? You seem...frazzled.

ABIGALE
I feel frazzled. I just want this to work.

DOUGLAS
I want this to work.

ABIGAL
Then just tell me you moved my diary. 

Douglas looks at his woman and considers his answer for a second. Then takes one on the chin.

DOUGLAS
I moved  your diary.

Abigale looks at her man, there's doubt in her eyes.

...Cont'd




No comments:

Post a Comment