A story writing blog

Sunday, March 22, 2015

TOM WRITES HIS FIRST MOVIE: and sometimes it gets a little boring.

So. This entry's going to be boring. I've reached the halfway point on my script (fist pump) and now its time for me to build towards the big moment of this movie. The shift. The climax. The WTF moment.

Unfortunately in order to get there I have to nudge the pieces into place. I need to slow things down a little and get my characters into place. I need to build to this moment organically and give my characters a chance to breath and be people before kicking off my next big shakeup. So here's today's entry. This is Abby showing you that she's determined to get her life back to normal, without Douglas.

If you're interested in reading the whole script up until this point it can be found right HERE.





INT - ABIGAIL'S BEDROOM - MORNING

Abigail is up early despite only getting a few hours of sleep the night before. She looks out of her bedroom window, its a beautiful day. Abigail puts on a pair of slippers and heads out into the hall. Out in the hall she stops in her tracks, down the hallway is a room that still scares her. Its the room where she found the dolls torn apart, the twisted writing that littered the walls has been hastily rolled over with a coat of paint. Abby hurries down the hall and closes the door, that room still unnerves her. The house is very quiet.

Abby heads downstairs to the kitchen. She's startled to see the pantry doors wide open, her body freezes. Something about it looks wrong, the boxes of food look like they've been torn into in a rush. Emptied. Nothing else on the scene seems off, there's no other sign of a break in. Abigail grabs a granola bar out of the pantry and closes it. Soon she's off to work.

INT - ABIGAIL'S OFFICE

Abigail walks across her company's busy main floor to her office, the crowds and familiar faces provide comfort for Abigail now. She feels safest at work when she's surrounded by coworkers. Abigail says her hellos while dropping off her things at her desk, she collects her favorite coffee mug and heads for the kitchen. 

BRYCE
Oh good. You made it.

ABIGAIL
 Hello. 

BRYCE
Hey Abby.

ABIGAIL
Yeah I made it. Sort of, I didn't really sleep.

BRYCE
But you did it. You made it through a whole night alone in that big house. 

ABIGAIL
Yup. I am a big girl.

BRYCE
Hey, don't dismiss that accomplishment Abby. I know I was against it last night but what you did, spending a night in that house alone...it was one of the bravest things I've ever seen.

ABIGAIL
Thank you. 

Abigail pours herself a cup of coffee, then offers Bryce a refill on his. He extends his cup, taking her up on the offer. 

ABIGAIL
Hey while you were going through the house last night, do you remember grabbing a snack from the kitchen?

BRYCE
No. Your dad was the one who checked the kitchen. Why?

ABIGAIL
Nothing, I just...I just forgot to buy groceries I guess.

 BRYCE
Well why don't I help you with that after work?

Abigail hesitates, she's careful to keep her distance with people at the moment. Still feeling like she needs to be by herself for a while, to put the pieces of her life back together before moving on.

BRYCE
Come on. We'll load up. I'll make dinner.

ABIGAIL
Bryce...

BRYCE
I am not asking for a date. I just want to help.

ABIGAIL
Ok...dinner actually sounds amazing. Thanks Bryce.

BRYCE
(smiles)
Anytime.

Abigail heads back to her desk, Bryce takes a minute to enjoy his coffee before heading back. He wanders over to the window. Directly across the street is same coffee shop Douglas was seen loitering at earlier.

Cont'd...

Loitering at?



No comments:

Post a Comment