A story writing blog

Monday, April 20, 2015

TOM WRITES HIS FIRST MOVIE: The build to the end.

You know what? We're well past the halfway point of my thriller and it's time to start putting the pieces in place for my big ending. I mean that too, my ending is big. From this point onward the story is going to pick up a frenetic pace as my characters stumble their way towards a conclusion that wraps this whole mystery up in a tight, action packed little bow.

Once again, I collect everything as I go and post it all HERE

I still haven't written out a synopsis I am in love with but imagine if you were to wake up one morning and your terrified girlfriend was accusing you of doing something completely f**king psycho. That happened to Douglas.

I admit this is who I was picturing as I wrote this scene.


INT - JAIL

Douglas is being led through a hallway by a couple of officers to a small room with a table. Sitting at the table is his public defender. Douglas takes a seat across from him and the two are left alone. 

LAWYER
Hello Douglas, my name is Alister Cross. I'll be defending you.

Douglas doesn't answer.

LAWYER
I've been looking over your case, I think we'll be able to get you out of here. A man's ex-fiance accuses him of torturing...dolls and then locks him out of the house they shared. According to the police report she made claims of violence but you were never charged?

DOUGLAS
I didn't do it.

LAWYER
Good. The police apparently didn't think so either because I don't see any charges laid. That's very good. Now we just have to convince the judge that you were only in her house to get your things back so you could move on and finally forget about the crazy bitch.

Douglas shoots him a look.

LAWYER
Hey, looks like that aren't going to help you get out of there. We need to convince this judge that you want nothing to do with this girl, when he tells you he's placing a restraining order between the two of you; you thank him.

DOUGLAS
There was someone else in that house. I want them to find him, keep Abby safe. 

LAWYER
She's safe and you staying behind bars isn't keeping her any safer. 
Is it?

DOUGLAS
No.

LAWYER
Well then. You made up that intruder story that because you were scared, you got caught and were worried about getting in trouble so you made something up. The mysterious stranger excuse, oldest one in the book.

DOUGLAS
And then I chased after someone I just made up?

LAWYER
No, you ran because you knew she was going to call her dad and his shotgun.

DOUGLAS
They won't believe me.

LAWYER
Are you kidding me? No one believes you now. If you go in there and tell that judge that you only broke into your ex's house to chase out some dark, faceless figure then all you'll do is convince him you need to be kept out of the public and put into a looney bin. I ask you, is that what you want?

DOUGLAS
...I was just there to get my stuff...

LAWYER
Exactly. I think we can get time served plus probation, plus obviously you'd have to agree to never be within a hundred feet of her ever again. 

DOUGLAS
Just her?

LAWYER
And her father probably, but we'll consider that a blessing.

DOUGLAS
Get me out of here.

LAWYER
I'd like you to make a statement. You were alone in that house with Abigail, you saw no one else. Judges are like mothers, they give points for honesty.

DOUGLAS
Honesty?

LAWYER
...Is Abigail safer with you behind bars?

DOUGLAS
No.

LAWYER
Well then.

The lawyer slides a pen and paper across the table to Douglas, urging him to write his statement.

LAWYER
You were alone. You just wanted to get your things back.

DOUGLAS
(reluctantly)
I was alone.

Cont'd...

No comments:

Post a Comment