A story writing blog

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Short Story About A Ghostbusting Team



Today I wrote a teaser story (trailer) about a government sponsored ghostbusting team.

INT - A dark, narrow crawl space.

OPEN: Open on a shot of a brightly lit tracking device that Ervin is looking into. Ervin and his partner Rooney are crawling through this crawlspace, both have on workmen's uniforms with the term "D.O.P.E" stitched onto them. Rooney is holding a flashlight.

ROONEY
I am gonna get bit. I always do.

ERVIN
Stay close to me and I'll watch your back.

He stops

ERVIN
DOWN!
Rooney hits the ground, something blasts past them, knocking over several boxes.

ROONEY
Why do I do this?

ERVIN
It's your job.

ROONEY
AND I HATE IT! It's a crappy job and the pay SUCKS!

ERVIN
I do ok.

ROONEY
You're a supervisor and you don't do that well. I am tired of this. Look at the crap they ask us to do. Crawl around a gross crawlspace looking for some disgusting creature that can HURT us BTW.

ERVIN
Oh big time, these things have inch long knife shaped teeth and four long, needle sharp claws on their fingers. They're MEAN too.

ROONEY
I know! I've been attacked by these things. MANY times. I HATE this job.

ERVIN
BACK!

Ervin grabs Rooney and pulls him back quickly, both men fall over. The box that was beside Rooney's head explodes. Rooney points the flashlight at it, he sees large claw marks.

ERVIN
So look for a new job.

ROONEY
Do you know how hard that is? I can't use any of what I do here on my resume.

ERVIN
Yes you can, you just need to make it sound better. Don't put down that you worked for the Department of Paranormal Events; just put down that you worked for the government. If they find out where you worked just tell them you were in administrations, you processed claims applications for hauntings, possessions, demonic visitations, zombifications, vampireification...just don't tell anyone you're in investigations and removals. I know one of the admin managers; he'll fake a reference if I ask him to.

ROONEY
Why don't you just tell him to get me a job up there?

Rooney's flashlight goes out.

 ROONEY
We get the cheapest flashlights.

ERVIN
Yeah...

Rooney turns. From over the shoulder of the two men we see them facing down the most viscous looking toothed beast. Rooney jumps back, startled.


ERVIN
We get cool guns though.

They pull out their ionic poppers.

Which look like PS3 Move sub machine guns

Glowing guns that shoot concentrated lazer blasts which explode when making contact with the beast. The beast explodes, covering both men in pink slime.

ROONEY
I hate this job.


-END-


Picture source - http://wtf-film.com/site/tag/tim-hildebrandt/

No comments:

Post a Comment